Return to General Discussion Forum

New Laptop

Home Forums General Discussion Forum New Laptop

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    J

too right 🙂

I have often gotten a grin from some of the different phrases heard in the UK as well.

ClarityJane

Thanks, J.

Ohhh…I get it now. Actually, I saw it on the telly once, but the ball was red so I thought it was supposed to be an APPLE. You know, New York is ‘the Big Apple.’

I saw an amusing little video on YouTube once where some American kids were filming themselves going around a British supermarket. They went to the desserts section and found some Spotted Dick.

They thought it was hilarious….I can’t think why.

J

Or hearing someone in a shop asking for a pack of fags 🙂

ClarityJane

(tee-hee)

Let’s face it folks, some of our expressions will always be a mystery to those ‘over there.’

When the London-based musical, ‘Me and My Girl’ hit Broadway, the British cast had to assure the shocked American producers that the cheery opening line: “Wotcha, cock!” was a traditional Cockney greeting and nothing to do with having a bath….!

I’ve got this great DVD called, ‘Over Paid, Over Sexed and Over Here.’ It’s a collection of wartime information films for GIs who have been posted to Britain. It teaches them how to interact with the locals and not to upset people by boasting about their pay or eating up everyone’s weekly rations in one meal etc.! A very young Burgess Meredith is the host : )

J

I actually saw some of that on history channel here several years ago.

ClarityJane

My Dad remembers the GIs from those days. He was just a little boy of course but he recalls how they gave all the children, both local and evacuees, plenty of chocolate and chewing gum. (Very rare commodities in wartime Britain).

He would trail behind a soldier and shout out, “Got any gum, chum?!” and the GI would say something like, “Sure thing, kid!” and throw him a piece!

He’s 76 years old and remembers it as clear as day : )

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.