Return to General Discussion Forum

New Laptop

Home Forums General Discussion Forum New Laptop

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    PJ
    Keymaster

I had to do it! Could only rely on my iPad for so long after my other laptop died. Just so many things you need to do (at least I need to do) which are made easier or even possible on a dedicated laptop.

My new laptop has 6GB of internal memory and 750GB of Hard Drive space. Unreal. I remember when Tandy was selling computers in Radio Shack and 1 GB was a HUGE deal! Of course, I also remember the Apple IIE or Commodore 64. DOS anyone?

Brandon

Very nice, PJ!

I agree with you, there are a lot of things that tablets just aren’t good for.

My first computer was a Vic-20. Then I got a Commie 64. My first IBM compatible was a 286-12MHZ with 1 meg of RAM and a 40MB hard drive. Of course, with a hard drive that big, I had it partitioned into two 20MB drives.

I loved DOS. In fact, I hated Windows 95 when it first came out. I preferred using the command line. I admit it, I was wrong, GUIs are better (generally).

Echo5Charlie

When I started as a network administrator we used Dos and blue mail. Still had 286 and 486’s on the network. They all had to be upgraded for y2k…anyone remember that scare. I never bought that one, I have a few friends that really did though.

The specs on new computers are fantastic at affordable prices. My phone has 100x the capabilities of my desktop of 15 years ago.

Brandon

Yup, I remember the Y2K scare. I wasn’t sure about it, so I went ahead and got some extra food and water, just in case. (That was before I was into prepping.)

I remember hearing that, eventually, we would have computers that we could hold in our hand. I remember thinking that would be so awesome.

One thing I’ve dreamt about for years and years is virtual reality. I’m really looking forward to the Oculus Rift (and competing HMDs).

PJ
    Keymaster

My mom went ALL OUT for Y2K. I thought she was nuts at the time, then again I wasn’t in full prep mode by that time.

Brandon

Haha! What kind of things did she do to prepare for it?

J

Y2K…

I realize this is a bit off topic but the Y2K subject brinbgs to mind a story.

New Year’s Eve, I was at a friend’s house for the party. The wife and I had only lived in the area for about 4 months, so we didnt know the hosts super well, but I worked with the guy so we got the invite. As they were counting down and watching the ball drop, I had stepped into the garage to drop off my tasty beverage container. I happened to see the breaker panel…….:) in my current state of mind it seemed like it would be an awesome idea to just…then my wife showed up and interrupted my fun.

I never get to do anything fun lol.

Capt. Mac.

MAN .!!!! J

I think you would have been the hit of the party…. Everyone would have gotten a great laugh (after)

Capt. Mac.

Guess you’ll just have to wait until Y3K

Echo5Charlie

He hi larious. You so should have thrown the breaker! I was on base at the time, wasn’t to worried about it.

J

well, Mrs. J hasn’t steered me wrong yet, I wanted to do it but some of the other guests were rather alcoholicly altered and concerned about the possibility. Still, it would have been fun 🙂

ClarityJane

I’ve just had my laptop fixed. It caught a nasty virus and – as if by magic – a £400 computer suddenly became a useless piece if plastic and metal. I hate it when I can’t even attempt to fix something by myself. This is why I think I’ll never be a big fan of computers.

Mind you, it’s my own fault. I chose to take Drama classes at school instead of the brand new subject of Computer Science! We only had one computer per five students and they didn’t talk to us like in ‘War Games’ so I was less than enthusiastic!

J: Umm…”watching the ball drop”…? Dare one ask….?

J

Clarity Jane,

of course you can ask, I was referring to New Year’s Eve tradition here of New York City dropping a large lit ball the minute before New Years officially start as a countdown. When the ball touches down, it is officially New Years.

Echo5Charlie

Haha haha haha…that’s hilarious. Yeah it could go a few directions without cultural background.

PJ
    Keymaster

OMG. That’s hilarious.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.