Return to General Discussion Forum

28 dead / 113 injured: KNIFE attack

Home Forums General Discussion Forum 28 dead / 113 injured: KNIFE attack

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    PJ
    Keymaster

The old saying goes: In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king. In a land where guns are completely banned the knife wielding man is the most dangerous.

Link to article: Click Here
    —————–
    Knife-wielding assailants attacked people at a train station in southwestern China on Saturday in what authorities called a terrorist attack and police fatally shot five of the assailants, leaving 28 people dead and 113 injured, state media said.

China’s official Xinhua News Agency did not identify who might have been responsible for the late-evening attack at the Kunming Railway Station in Yunnan province, but said authorities considered it to be “an organized, premeditated violent terrorist attack.”
    —————–

Remember that when you need them, the police are only 5 to 10 minutes away.

Muleskinner

PJ:
    But…but…but…haven’t we been assured ad infinitum by every progressive liberal that if we would just give up weapons everyone would have nothing to do but sit around singing Kumbaya and I’d Like To Teach the World To Sing by the New Seekers. Aren’t we promised that the sun will always shine, peace and love will leap up out of everyone like the sweet spring grasses, and the Age of Aquarius will finally come to mankind? Now, look what you have done! OK, I done with the sarcasm… Now, its time for us to feel compassion for the dead, injured and their families.

PJ
    Keymaster

You forgot unicorns, rainbows and fluffy carebears if all guns are banned in the USA. The gangsters will lay down their arms and sign up for pottery classes too.

J

Something I would like to point out on this subject as well is to reinforce just how much damage can be done with an edged weapon in the hands of someone that knows how to use it. There is a common misconception that in a gun vs. knife situation that the gun always wins.

Not so.

Someone skilled with a knife ata range of 10 feet or less when a confrontation starts has a better than even chance of winning, actually. If you can find it, I recommend a video called “Surviving Edged Weapons”.

I realize that these people had nothing but their bare hands to protect themselves but wanted to take the opportunity to raise this point.

The articles I have seen so far are a bit sketchy, anyone seen any info on how many attackers there were? I only saw that there were a “group”.

PJ
    Keymaster

Great point J and one that is often brought up in personal defense courses. Attackers can often close the distance and inflict injuries much faster than one could draw and engage with a gun, and quite honestly that’s scary.

Muleskinner

PJ and J:

Yes, which is why I require my wife to carry a knife everywhere she goes and yes, she knows how to use it.

J

I study and teach Escrima, Kali and Arnis, fondly bundled together to be known as Filipino combative arts. I dont generally carry CCW, preferring a knife. I do this not only for the close range advantage but also for the fact that Mr. Policeman is usually less likely to hassle a person carrying a knife than a gun.

Muleskinner, am also teaching the wife and my daughter.

PJ
    Keymaster

Filipinos definitely know how to handle knives, of this I’m quite certain.

The Maj

You are going to get cut in a knife fight. No if, ands, or buts about it. However, I am not throwing my gun down or not attempting to draw it when someone is attempting to attack me with a knife. My movements have an affect on their ability to utilize the knife and once my sidearm is drawn, they are at a serious disadvantage no matter the range.

That said, in a random attack like this it would be very hard to counter or react to it, especially if you are the first victim.

J

Maj,

It all goes to personal preference: I sincerely hope neither one of us has to ever be in such a situation.

The Maj

Not knocking it J. I fully understand and if I was as confident with a knife as I am with a firearm, then I would probably just go with the knife in a lot of carry situations. There are some folks out there that I would not want to go up against with them just with their bare hands. 🙂

Brandon

J,

As you know about knife fighting, I’m really interested to hear what kind of knife you carry.

J

Brandon,

Quite honestly, it depends on the circumstances and where I am; some states are pretty strict as to what is legal and what is not. A KaBar TDI is a good one to carry; it was designed for law enforcement and has a grip similiar to a handgun, designed for a last resort type situation. Reversing the grip, it can functuion quite well as a kerambit.

However, in a fixed blade, I dont think much can compare to a KaBar USMC blade, barring something you have custom made . All around, I think it is one of the best designs out there. It holds a good edge, is durable as all get out and the design has been tested true over the years. Make sure it is not a knock off, though.

Yes, I am a KaBar fan 🙂

As I said before, you have to check to see what is legal in your area; a USMC blade is a bit obvious, also.

For general carrying, I have a folding one handed open type. They are discreet, effective, and with a bit of practice you can get to them quickly.

These are just my personal preferences, I am sure the guys can offer a lot of good input on this, as well.

Echo5charlie

My favorite knife! Love it and the beautiful leather sheath USMC stamped. Kydex is all the reviews are on, but a Kabar leather sheath is quality. Course I am biased, but to me that’s a tough knife. Steel will rust but keep some mineral oil on it and its good to go, I think the leather soaks in the oil and helps preserve the blade too.

Muleskinner

J

How very interesting. Like you I am a Ka-bar man and have been since 1969. The TDI is an excellent choice as a last resort knife. I and my wife carry it on occasion, I also like the Ka-Bar Becker BK14 since it hangs around my neck and can be reached with either hand (a plus when driving a truck).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.