Return to General Discussion Forum

Truckpocalypse: Informative Infographic

Home Forums General Discussion Forum Truckpocalypse: Informative Infographic

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    PJ
    Keymaster

Check out this link

Truckpocalyse: When Trucks Stop, America Stops

I’m sure most of us knew this but it’s still worth repeating. Our just in time society is held together by a thin thread.

Echo5Charlie

Is water seriously trucked in anywhere?

Capt. Mac.

NOT ENOUGH INFO
    What that page does NOT cover is .. “what happens after”?

The concept that; without trucks the store shelves will be totally empty in 7 days, has been around for many years. That’s without looting, rioting and general rush to stock up.

Let’s make up a story.

The trucking switch is turned off. 7 days pass and the stores, manufacturing plants, hospitals, gas stations and warehouses etc. are out of stock.

A week later the trucking switch is turned back on.

It will not be like turning on a light switch and as if by magic we are good to go. How long will it take to re-supply all those shelves, warehouses etc.? That’s assuming the highways are clear. Diesel fuel is abundant. There is no high jacking, and everything begins, at once, to run smooth. (google the after math of Katrina for that fantasy)

And let’s not forget the suppliers of the suppliers. Where are these products produced? Are they trucked in from other countries? How well will they respond to a global SHTF?

The public fear factor will be at redline. As fast as food, water, gas, general consumables reach the shelves they will be snatched up by the “awakened hordes”.

A return to what could be called “normal” could take months and maybe a year or two. In the mean time I wouldn’t look to local officials to help out.

Just some thoughts

Capt. Mac.
    Pandemonium Airlines
    “If you enjoyed your flight and thank you for flying Pandemonium.”
    “If you didn’t enjoy your flight, thank you for flying United.”

PJ
    Keymaster

Mac

Good analysis. If the trucking switch were somehow flipped and everything ground to a halt for a week, it would be utter chaos.

Echo5Charlie

I completely agree, just curious if there are people relying on trucked in water on a daily basis.

Capt. Mac.

Echo5,

I can’t imagine any community trucking in their water on a regular basis. It just wouldn’t make sense. Well, OK, if you had a gold mine in the middle of Death Valley. That kind of extreme aside, I traveled the U.S. for 13 years to some pretty remote areas and never saw a town or village truck in their water.

Side Story kind of along these lines:

Chignick Lagoon Alaska is very remote. Only way in is by boat or plane. NO TRUCKS! Just before the 4th. Of July a Cessna 421 landed on the gravel strip. A 421 is a big piston engine twin. They unloaded fresh veggies, bread and milk. Frozen meat and fireworks. Folks brought out tables from their homes and they set up a general store alongside the runway.

Everything! was gone in an hour. These folks are real Preppers and yet they were scrambling after the fresh goods. (and fireworks). LOL… More than one lady in their nightgowns.

It was one hell of a 4th of July party. 

But back to water trucking. Lets not forget how well FEMA handled that problem after Katrina. And that was (relativity speaking) a small part of the U.S.. All the more reason to calculate your water needs and then double or triple it. Its kind of unusual that something so cheap can be so mandatory.

IMHO in this case: To much of a good thing is not enough. If nothing else think “barter”

Capt.. Mac.
    Pandemonium Airlines
    “In case of a water landing, the person next to you can be used as a flotation device”

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.