Return to General Discussion Forum

Thinking about a truck/pack gun

Home Forums General Discussion Forum Thinking about a truck/pack gun

• This topic has 5 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Echo5Charlie.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Echo5Charlie

Saw a sale on a pap m85 or m92 Ak style pistol, which started me down a rifle pistol research path. I started thinking something along these lines could be great to keep in the truck or even fit in a bag pretty easily. That could bridge the gap between rifle and pistol. There are some draw backs to the Ak style pistols compared to a few others, like poor sights and no ability to red dot or flashlight mount. Also either one, the 5.56 or 7.62 take mags I don’t own.

I’ve never been a fan of ar pistols so I took that option off the table. Mainly due to reliability reports and the buffer tube sticking out the back, like a butt stock. If you feel it should be an option please let me know why.

Next I started re-reading about the keltec plr16. Price point is about the same but with the options package to include the sling and a foregrip that is railed top and bottom. The thing also accepts ar mags. That is huge to me. Searching the Web seems to show positive reviews and to top it off it is about half the weight of the Ak pistol.

So I’m liking it more and more and wanted to not only share what I had found but also get your guys input. If neither of these, that’s ok too, which would be an ideal truck/pack gun?

PJ
    Keymaster

What do you mean by truck/pack gun? Something which is easily stored in a pack or something which is easily accessible and ready to go? I like pistols for quick access, if I have to go for a rifle it will take a bit more time.

Echo5Charlie

Something for behind the seat of the truck or something that can fit in my pack. I could keep it concealed under a light coat on the walk home should the need arise. This is not to be rapidly deployed like my edc pistol. More something has happened that I feel the need to get it out and slung. I believe these to be more accurate at moderate distances than the pistol. I see people holding decent groups at 150-200 yards with them.

I see it as being the “I wish my rifle was here, rather than locked in my safe” gun. Oh yeah I have this handy long pistol here…

Echo5Charlie

The price went up on the keltec to 699, so this won’t be happening anyway. Considering another ar for the truck now.

PJ
    Keymaster

Definitely recommend an AR, why not compliment what you already have at home. Keep it behind the back seat in a case or whatever, easily accessible if you need it. Of course this means you’ll probably need some sort of kit in order to carry spare mags 🙂

Echo5Charlie

That base has been covered lol. Not that I’m going to stop looking at holders pouches and widgets any time soon. I’ve become close with the local surplus store owner.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.