Return to General Discussion Forum

Introduce yourself!

Home Forums General Discussion Forum Introduce yourself!

Viewing 12 posts - 46 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Ranger

Ranger

Learning survival started about the age of 7 as a cub scout then boy scout then leader then a 15 year Army vet

I don’t prep for any single event as many events are possible.

Mistakes ….I’m sure I’ve made plenty but none come to mind right now

Plan on buying a house with some land in the next few months

My opinion is that everyone should know and have the bare minimum knowledge of basic survival.

Not to my surprise…..I personally asked 50 people (some I knew, most I didn’t) 3 questions

1. Can you start a fire without matches or a lighter?
    2. Name any one way to make questionable water drinkable.
    3. Would you kill, skin, cook and eat a wild animal?

10 said yes to #1
    Not one person knew an answer to #2
    5 said yes to #3…and the 5 that said yes to #3 are all my family who grew up eating rabbit which by the way is my favorite dish.

This tells me the total chaos that will happen when shit hits the fan as they say.

Capt. Mac.

Hi, Can I say at the start: Preppers are all NUTS ! And: They all think “Elvis is still alive, living on a UFO, hiding behind a comet with the Heavens Gate folks.” That’s my standard answer in public, when the topic of prepping stands up.

(in truth) You folks are the first I have ever admitted to as being a prepper. What people don’t know about me can’t hurt them.

– My internet screen name most times is Capt. Mac.
    No. Iam not a real Capt. The nick name was given to me by a guy I flew co-pilot for as we ran radioactive drugs around the PNW.

– How Long? Hmmmmm? I guess I started about 53 years ago.
    My brothers and sister started stashing food staples when dad had a job and food was abundant. When he was out of work and mom was near tears trying to feed us, the goods would magically appear.

– Why? Well you can take your pick of potential disasters both natural and human induced. Being prepared isn’t a new idea.

QUICK! What is the best invention in human history? (some would say “PIZZA”! Oh the WHEEL was pretty good but it doesn’t go nearly as well with beer)

In truth: The MOST important invention of the human species is “The Plow”. It allowed us to stay in one place. Grow and stockpile staples for the future. Then we had time to invent the wheel and internet. Just think. In your gene pool is one of the very first Preppers.

– Mistakes? I have not been a contributor. A spreader of the prepligon. I know, that in the name of security, not to trumpet my prep-ness.

But in the grand structure of what could happen; The more good folks that ARE preppy the less I’ll have to shoot if they gyrate bad and come after me and mine.

– Plans

It’s a funny thing about time. It’s kinda like a very bad landing spot. The more there is behind you the less you have left to worry about.

BUT IN MY FUTURE:
    Since I filled in the pool I need to store more water. I see rain storage (for my purest) in my future.

I’ll be selling out here soon and will miss my cool dry basement. Will probably spend a year or two aboard the 36 foot Bonnie Jean. Nice craft but not big, nor secure, nor cool, enough for my entire stash. (Ideas)?

The good news with this plan is I can fish 24/7 and will have water enough to shower twice a day. TO THE FOLKS DOWN RIVER from me. In advance, I am truly sorry for my waste disposal.
    Well… that’s about all for now except.

I have been netting a very long time (1987) and this is the first preppy site I felt comfy with. You folks do a grand job. Please keep up your grand work and lets all hope we are all NUTS, Elvis will show up soon and that aliens will save us from ourselves.

Capt. Mac. I land any damn place I please.

Echo5Charlie

That was a terrific read, thanks for that. Have to agree prepping isn’t a new idea. It sure seemed to keep people alive in biblical days.

Here’s to hoping I’m upstream from you, and we are all crazy.

RHC

Fantastic site, finally got around to looking at what site has to offer.
    Regarding the requested info:
    1-Folks on the net refer to me as RC
    2-By new terminology a couple of years but being prepared at least 2 decades. Remember the days of prepping for Y2K. (That was a joke)
    3-Living in Okla, more for the weather than anything else
    4-Forgetting to tell the wife that I blew a bunch of money on gear/guns until she sees the package or the bill
    5-Moving to the hills, away from big city
    Keep up the good work.

Echo5Charlie

Hey bud, nice to officially meet you.

Weather is a big concern, especially in OK. I do remeber y2k well. I was responsible for ensuring y2k compliance for my unit. Figured it couldn’t have been to serious if they trusted me to head it up lol.

Alexander Sharpe

RedRiverII

Prerared for one month of in home existence.

Interested in prepping for one year so far.

Natural catastrophe.

Worst mistake? Listening to the ” Little Red Hen ” types.

PJ
    Keymaster

Thanks all for introducing yourselves. I need to get over here on the forum more often 🙂

M

Hey All,

I’m M. I didn’t really start prepping until about a year ago and even now I have just the essentials due to mostly a restricted budget. However, in regards to knowledge, I have been increasing my skill set by researching just about anything – lots of DIY projects involving solar, wind and water while enjoying the many edibles and medicinal properties found in nature.

Prepping for? WROL. Watching the news (not mainstream media, that is) gives one the sense of urgency to become self-reliable… and it’s logical, self-reliance, that is.

As for mistakes, waiting so long to gather preparatory items. It was always a “I’ll do it tomorrow” kind of nonsense. It wasn’t until I bought a weapon that I actually got my rear end in gear.

For the future, most of my life is traveling on the road as my SO works in construction. We actually don’t have a standing structure to store gear or supplies in so we’ve retrofitted our SUV to carry all our gear in an organized fashion. We are purely mobile as we travel every few months to a new location (usually a different state). The next step would be purchasing a large chunk of land somewhere and building an off grid homestead. But to be honest, both of us love being nomadic so we’ll see about the house.

Side note- I just happened to stumble across this website and so glad that I did!

J

M,

Welcome to the forum, it is always good to have new folks dropping in. Feel free to poke around and ask any questions you might have. There are a number of solid, common sense types around that can offer a lot of knowledge on various topics here.

keebler

hello all;
    I’m Keebler;
    sort of a prepper due to distance to a food store. bought some crappy property, southern Va, ,I have a trailer on it, water ,Electric & well actually 2 of them (1) caved in so I made it the emergency one with a 12/24 volt DC pump off a battery, solar panel soon to keep battery charged (free) ha-ha.
    just a single guy No family ,enjoying retirement, off s.s,
    solar panels on the back to a (4D) battery for 13 lights in side.
    small garden got nothing from it—dirt just not suitable to grow stuff. but maybe next year,
    I heat with a wood stove ,cut my own wood,
    nothing exciting happens here, thankfully it won’t.
    have a great day.
    keeb.

Curt58

I’ll add another name to the list.
    I signed in as Curt58, mainly because my first name is Curt and I retired from my career at the age of 58.

So yea, I’ve been prepping for years for that day and the 7 years since.
    My Wife of 17 years and I bought a small Ranch in the Country 15 years ago as part of the plan to build a self sustainable place. Our neighbors are all like minded and we have a we have a great group of very capable diverse DIY individuals.

My only regrets so far is I wasn’t able to retire at 55 like was my original plan, but an unexpected divorce put everything in a tail spin and forced a start over at 38. I took 8 years to recover from the “D” and then remarried. If my Ex had stuck it out with me we’d have been set for life by the time I turned 55. ( The “D” was her idea! Apparently putting away a nest egg for later wasn’t her plan.) 🙂

I am preparing for the Death of America as we know it. I see States withdrawing from the Union and New Governments reformed to organize the Populas. It will be a painfil time!

I fear that those who have not bothered to see the writing on the wall will be our biggest problem and fear Civil Wars and expect the Entitlement People will be most of the instigators. Possibly why out Government dug all those mass graves around the country!

My Trooper Wife and I are getting there. We have 4.5 acres in the Country and start planting crops in a few months.
    We’ve been able to check off a bunch of stuff off our lists.

I’m a retired Power Technician, so we won’t be in the dark or eating rotted food anytime soon.

Can’t wait to get my root celler finished.

Anyway, I’ve posted up a few times and am just now getting around to introducing myself.

I like a place that is not so busy I can’t keep up with the topics.

cody

looking for preppers that want to be apart of something big. email me at c1011006@gmail.com

Viewing 12 posts - 46 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.