Return to General Discussion Forum

Sometimes you have to spend money, some things are not DIY

Home Forums General Discussion Forum Sometimes you have to spend money, some things are not DIY

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    PJ
    Keymaster

In a post SHTF world we will have to make due with whatever we have, but we aren’t post SHTF right now. I’m all about saving some cash, watching YouTube or reading a book and DIY…but some things should be left to the pros.

I’m getting ready for winter, and recently paid an electrician to wire up my home with a transfer switch for my generator. No more extension cords, everything is to code and hooked up cleanly. A few hours on YouTube cannot match decades of electrical experience, and I won’t risk my home or those inside of it because I want to save a few bucks.

Some might pride themselves on doing everything DIY, I pride myself on making calculated and safe decisions. 🙂

Echo5Charlie

As a contractor… Good call. I subcontract my electric needs. I don’t want a family burning up because I made a mistake. Electricity is not a science, it is a theory. You can do the same thing nine times fine and the tenth something different will happen.

My brother in law is an electrician so I don’t mess with electric.

PJ
    Keymaster

I’ll use round numbers here…but maybe a DIY “suicide cord” project (backfeeding via dryer) costs $150 or so, and a properly installed transfer switch costs $900. $750 is a lot of money, but big scheme of things how much is the HOUSE and everything inside of it worth? Not to mention family….

Can’t compromise on some things.

J

I agree on this topic. My stepdad is an electrician and while I can wire in a light fixture or run circuits for more plugs, I know my limitations. I was fortunate to have him do the wiring for me when he visited once, it just cost me parts and dinner 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.