Return to General Discussion Forum

Prepping and non prepping family members.

Home Forums General Discussion Forum Prepping and non prepping family members.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    J

This is something I have been thinking about for the last week and wanted to get some outside input from you guys. I have some family members, in laws actually, that dont subscribe to prepping at all. They look on this subject with a king of tolerant amusement that we have all probably encounters from non prepper types. However, the honest truth of it is I couldnt exactly leave my wife’s sister and her family hanging in a SHTF situation. What we have decided is to include them in our preps, planning for 6 instead of 3.

Just curious, how are others addressing this situation? I know I am not the only one with this scenario.

Echo5Charlie

We are trying to keep extras to help others. My wife’s family has their faith in this president. He wouldn’t possibly let anything bad happen to us, that’s ridiculous, I’ve been told. Once I asked if they will trust the next president as much, they didn’t answer and looked at me like I was insane for not wanting this one for the rest of my life or something. I honestly could not take those people in. I’ll take them some stuff, but we barely make it through a holiday meal with them. I won’t be around them when times are tough. They make poor choices and cause dissent during the best of times.

Clarity Jane

I suppose that if relatives or friends KNOW that you prep, they’ll come right to your door should the SHTF. If you don’t help them they’ll get ’emotional’ and cause a disturbance that neighbours would notice and then….

Why people still believe prepping to be silly or wacko is beyond me. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: dismiss the idea of TEOTWAWKI if you like but strikes, economic collapse with mass unemployment, a sudden rush of unexpected household expenses or a pandemic are not ‘fantastical’ ideas.

Just ask them to consider (re-)reading ‘The Grapes of Wrath’ and/or ‘Of Mice And Men’ or to watch episodes of The Waltons (yes folks, the Depression really happened!) or consider the fact that 2018 will not only mark 100 years since the end of the First World War but also 100 years since the Spanish Flu pandemic that killed millions of people.

They really ought to have their own little food and water store to avoid being a burden on you and your family….Keep trying J! : )

J

Clarity Jane,

in all honesty, it’s pretty much a lost cause on the in laws. We have decided to set aside a bit extra as we can for them and made arrangements for them to be welcome at out bug out location. Pretty much all we can do for them, but we couldn’t leave them hanging, it’s my wife’s twin sister, after all.

Brother in law is pretty cool, he is a retired Seabee and has been in some pretty nasty environments in his time, why he does not prep is beyond me. I figure a bit extra in our supplies will help them should it ever be needed.

Clarity Jane

J:

You’re right of course. As for me, well, there are mainly older people in my neighbourhood but most of them have family that (one presumes) will look after them in times of trouble. We have a friend (79) who lives up the road, whose family are all back in Scotland so I’d get her down to our place. My fella knows very little of my prepping plans as I’m not sure what he’d think…

Oh no! As I type this I’ve just seen the news about Robin Williams. How awful.

What’s a Seabee, J?

J

Seabee is the name of the USA navy Construction Battalion. the name is taken from the first 2 letters of each word, CB. They are a very respected branch of the Navy and are primarily tasked with establishing beach heads, breaking enemy fortifications and building ours. They often end up in some pretty hairy places and he is no exception. I have often picked his brains for ideas in emergency planning and prepping as he has first hand knowledge of some pretty bad places.

Clarity Jane

J:

Thank you for the definition of Seabee. They are clearly heroes, but I’ll bet you anything they’d reject that and say, ” We’re just doing our job.”

PJ
    Keymaster

I prep for those in my family (close family) who might not be prepping themselves. I’m prepared to accept them if SHTF and things get crazy. However…this will mean that if they want to eat my food and stay under my roof than more than ever it will mean they will live by my rules….and work hard to earn their keep.

Or…

They could try their luck out there in the world?

That’s what I thought.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.