Return to General Discussion Forum

Off grid weekend

Home Forums General Discussion Forum Off grid weekend

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    J

I spent the weekend off the grid with my daughter. While it wasn’t a true bugout practice, we did spend a lot of time working on skills such as firestarting, cooking, tracking and the like. We got pretty wet due to the rain but I realized she minds it less than I do; her bones dont ache nearly as much as mine do 🙂

All in all, I was really pleased at how well she dealt with things and her skill levels. It was also nice to get away from my phone!

Echo5Charlie

Very cool. Anything stand out as a problem you didn’t expect?

J

not really, a lot of what we did was proven to be justified, choosing a slightly higher than mean ground level for camp (it rained, a lot) and under some trees for shelter, scrounging wood and keeping it covered ahead of time, packing an extra lighter or 2 (one got dropped in the mud and was unusable). I really got to drive home the point of what to look for and why. One place we had considered was a giant mud puddle after the first day.

we did work with a couple of different types of firestarter material and I will post some stuff about them later. I had a couple of different ones and one was not as good as I had hoped.

Echo5Charlie

Sounds like a huge success. In addition to proving and practicing you techniques, you got to pass them on and bond a little too. Very cool.

I am looking forward to hearing about your fire starting materials.

PJ
    Keymaster

Very cool! I would love to do something similar with my daughter, but I can see her saying “eww dad that’s gross” right now! Glad you were able to make it work and thanks for sharing.

J

Mine is perfectly at home in the outdoors. Planning a squirrel hunting expedition tomorrow, she been after me to go. We have been going out pretty much since she could walk and she is all about learning outdoor skills and such.

I am lucky 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.