Return to General Discussion Forum

God Bless the Boy Scouts

Home Forums General Discussion Forum God Bless the Boy Scouts

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    PJ
    Keymaster

I have to say that I’m impressed, even though I’ve never belonged to that organization. I appreciate their desire to teach our youths the value of hanging out in nature.

Today I was at my local training facility, I chose to bring my plate carrier (with 4 ceramic plates) so I could use it as a weight vest while training. Sled pushes, tire flips, hill climbs….it sucked.

Alas that’s not the point, a teenager was in there and asked me about my plate carrier. I let him try it on and he said it wasn’t too bad (to which I replied try wearing it for weeks or months). Anyways he then proceeded to tell me about his recent boy scout trip. They covered 45 miles in the mountains out west over a period of 4 days. Camping along the way, learning basic bush craft etc. That’s awesome stuff and I don’t care who you are…45 miles in 4 days is no cake walk. He mentioned his pack was 45 lbs too, that’s good training!

God bless the boy scouts!

Echo5Charlie

That’s pretty cool. Sounds like you guys had a cool little bonding interaction as well. I wish the girl scouts did the same stuff with girl only troops. My little chick a dees would love it, but they want nothing to do with the girl stuff.

Glad to hear your staying up on your work outs. Keep it up!

Clarity Jane

Ranger:

Although it’s been several decades since I was a Girl Guide (yikes!), I still have my handbook. This is partly for personal nostalgia but also because it contains so many wonderful camping/bush craft skills.

I’ve also picked up other Scout and Guide handbooks over the years from the 1900’s onwards including a copy of the original ‘Scouting For Boys’ by Lord Robert Baden-Powell, the movement’s founder (as you know!). Although it is culturally of its time, the book is still one of the most useful instruction books ever published. : )

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.