Return to General Discussion Forum

Feeling Knot’y Today

Home Forums General Discussion Forum Feeling Knot’y Today

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Capt. Mac.

When out in the shop today I was rigging a block & tackle and got to thinking.
    Anyone can tie their shoes. Or do a granny knot. But for many folks that’s about it. A good knot will do the job AND! be easily untied in most cases.

Knowing which knot to use for a job can make life so much easier. Here are a few I think would be helpful to Preppers. And the link to a site that does a great job on knot’y issues. Look for the animations.

http://www.netknots.com/rope_knots

Get some 550 cord and practice while watching your favorite Seattle Seahawks game.

Blake’s Hitch: ascending/descending on a line. (if you had to a repel)
    Bowline: Forms a secure loop or to secure to an object. (You need to know this knot.)
    Butterfly: Form a secure loop in the middle of a rope. (handy with very long ropes)
    Clove Hitch: A simple knot to tie a rope to a post or tree.
    Dbl. Overhand Stopper: Easy to tie stopper knot at end of rope.
    Honda Knot: The lasso knot.
    Mooring Hitch: Quick release knot that can be tied in the middle of a long rope.
    Prusik: Secures a movable loop to another line. (for sliding loads up or down a line)
    Sheep Shank: Use to shorten a rope.
    Dbl. Sheet Bend: Join ropes of unequal size. (or use an Albright knot found in the fishing area)
    Square Knot: Secure non critical items.
    Timber Hitch: Secure a rope around a post or about anything for hauling.
    Trucker’s Hitch: Excellent load securing knot.
    Zeppelin: Tie two ropes together. (I do two loops through the center for both lines)

And just for fun, learn to do a Monkey’s Fist. Impress your friends.

Capt. Mac.

PJ
    Keymaster

My fav knot is a bowline, after that comes the square knot. Used them at least 100 times.

You mention rappelling….

Bowline at the anchor point, two round turns beyond that. Pull the rope FROM the anchor point before looping it into the carbiner. Good luck.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by PJ.
    Capt. Mac.

PJ…

My first “repel” was from the superstructure of Grand Coulee Dam in 1972. The bowline was the top knot as you described on the 1 ¼ inch scaling line. No such thing as carbineers’ though. Just two pig tails on the bosun’s chair and used the blake’s hitches. That way we could go up and down as needed.

Still use the bowline any time I make a line fast. Have never jammed one so hard I couldn’t release it. That’s why I mentioned everyone should know this knot.

Be Well

PJ
    Keymaster

I can do an end of line bowline pretty well, secure that with an additional half hitch. That repel you mentioned seems crazy!

Capt. Mac.

LOL… Not so crazy when your 22, in perfect health and indestructible! Today, I would never suggest anyone climb higher than their bed without proper training and equipment.

Never have been a big fan of the square knot. It’s ok with stopper knots at the running (free) ends.

I use a Dbl. Sheet Bend or a Zeppelin (my version) to join two lines.
    For a permanent splice I use an Albright. (also for fly fishing)

Echo5Charlie

I’ll be practicing these tonight, thanks!

PJ
    Keymaster

Yes, square knot always has a half hitch on each end (aka stopper knots)

Right over left, left over right.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.