Return to General Discussion Forum

Crackpots…Sigh….

Home Forums General Discussion Forum Crackpots…Sigh….

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    J

just to play Devil’s Advocate…..

sure, we might buy our guns with cash money and privately…i wonder how many pay cash for ammo? Also, hunting licenses….think on it.

Echo5Charlie

If your not on a list by now, you should be ashamed of yourself.

Sure, there’s probably a few people who got grandfathered or bought only from private parties only. There’s a lot of info being gathered and judging by the responses, you guys know it, so there isn’t much of a debate here.

Luckily for me, I sold all my guns after sandy hook. It’s the right thing to do.

The Maj

I actually went to a “Preparedness Expo” awhile back. I discussed it with PJ via email. It was in a VERY small town about one hour from where I live and it seemed like an odd place to have such an event. Also, there was very little advertising and I just happened to catch an ad on the radio. What I was afraid of was walking into a militia recruiting event.

I went. I did drive by the location a couple of times, just to scout it out. The expo was actually fairly decent, even though it had an old country flea market feel too it. They were not heavy on gadgets and while there were some, there were not a lot of cargo pants/camera vest wearing types or obvious militia types. Plenty of open carry types but that is common. The goods ranged from chickens to blacksmith items to seeds to storm shelters. I picked up a couple of hand tools and contracted with a blacksmith on site to make a couple of other tools. I also had a guy build me a walking staff. Overall it was not a bad experience. Although, you can find much of the same stuff at farmer’s markets and flea markets around where I live on the weekend.

Echo5Charlie

That sounds pretty cool.

J

I am not really worried about being on a list or such, i figure i am probably already there; i shop regularly at sporting good stores, have had a hunting license all my life, etc. The main thing is i dont want to get mixed in with the militia types or the mad conspiracy crew. I know there are people out there that have a fair amount of common sense, as it seems the regulars here do, it is just we all tend to keep a low profile.

Here is a thought, although not a very happy one. By subscribing to some of the prepper newsletters and forums, anyone ever been concerned about being on a list of potential theft sites? Lists arent only made by gummermint types. IP addresses can be traced with little difficulty, these days.

Just for discussion, not trying to ratchet anyones paranoia up.

Echo5Charlie

I have not worried about that specifically. I would be concerned if all gun owners names and addresses were posted or published. That’s a big deal to thieves.

J

that happened here once, sheriff posted all the ccw owners in the county, names and addresses, in the paper, it did not go over well.

The Maj

Good points J. I think pretty much everyone is or should be well beyond ending up on a list or two or three or four. In the technology age, compiling such lists have been pretty much common place but if you have ever been contacted by a telemarketer, you are on a list – it is what they call off of. Luckily in that sense, my state does not sell its hunting license list but there are plenty of states that fetch up to a $0.10 or $0.25 per name on their hunting and fishing license lists. If you order anything online, you end up on a list and typically, that list is sold. Generally, you can judge how many lists you are on by how many calls or solicitation emails you get.

As for avoiding the militia types, I am right there with you. I lurked on this site for several months before I ever posted anything just to see what type of people visit/post on this site. PJ has done a good job of keeping that “fringe” aspect away from this site. On other prepper sites, you will see a good bit of militia propoganda starting to creep in and unfortunately many associate prepping with militia.

J

With you there, Maj.

I visited several times and read through a lot of stuff before I started posting. Thanks to PJ for keeping this a good site.

Echo5Charlie

Telemarketing lists don’t concern me. Certain govt agencies do. My state illegally sold all cww permit holders info. They also turned it all over to the fed. Not cool. At the same time, I feel, if I let them change my behavior they won. Kind of like terrorists doing an act of violence to change our behavior, if we don’t change we win. If we succumb, they win.

I have a current example. Currently working in the city and a guy I work with wishes he had his ccw, since we’ve seen the dealers and a shooting a block away. He won’t get it though because of what my state did to ccw holders. He’s putting himself in jeopardy to stay off the list. I get his reasoning, but that’s what they want. So they won.

J

lots of personal protection options other than ccw. I personally don’t have ccw as I use some of these other options.

The Maj

Luckily my state passed a law this past session that makes it a Class C felony to release CCW permit information. In other words, if the Sherriff releases that information, unless it is in the course of an LE investigation on a specific subject, he will be arrested and charged. Of course, once the list is released it doesn’t stop any of that but at least someone or several people will be punished for doing so.

There were several firearms bills this past session. Of course, the one that I wanted most did not pass which was basically the only time a CCW permit is required is when the firearm is carried on the person. Meaning, no permit required for carrying concealed in a vehicle as long as the firearm is not literally on the person. The Sheriff’s association fought that one.

J

In the state I live in, if you are pulled over and your vehicle info is ran, the cop is informed if you have a CCW. Basically, there is a lot of “you can, but you can’t” rules, as far as CCW. It almost doesnt seem to be worth the hassle here.

Echo5Charlie

We can have loaded weapons in our vehicles passenger compartment without a ccw. My state has some pretty good laws, and they have passed a few more good ones this year. A few took it upon themselves to break the law, including the governor but hey its for public safety…

Echo5Charlie

J

Whatever works for you as far as personal protection. I just think you should be able to decide for you and me for me. Not what a few people far away decide for you and me.

Your right, ccw is a lot of you can, you can’t. There’s really no protection from being sued if you ever use it. Honestly, I carried for years without a ccw since we can have it in our vehicles anyways. Basically by getting it, I’m assured to be on several lists. Oh well.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.