Return to General Discussion Forum

A situation last night..and thoughts on it.

Home Forums General Discussion Forum A situation last night..and thoughts on it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    J

something happened here at the homestead last night that I wanted to share. The wife got home last night after work, worn out. I was pretty beat, as well, and we went to bed by about 1030. Our daughter stayed up for a bit, doing the youtube thing and watching TV, as is her summertime norm. About 12:30 AM, she came in and told me someone was pounding on the door. She did not open it or look out the windows but could see a shadow of someone there knocking. She was wound pretty tight about it, but i am proud to say, she kept her wits about her and did everything exactly as I have taught her.

As soon as what she said sank in, I went into defense mode. I grabbed a pair of shorts and shoes and grabbed a small can of pepper spray i keep on hand. I thought about grabbing the pistol out of the nightstand but decided against it as I live in town.

Looking out the window, i realized the garage door was open. I religiously check it and it is usually one of my OCD OPSEC checks at night. I checked windows and did not see anyone moving but motion lights were on. I stepped out on the porch and saw neighbors across the street were still out and was debating the best approach to the garage when someone from the garage direction called out to me. It turned out to be my next door neighbor. he walked out and told me it was him knocking on the door to let me know the garage was still open. He said he would have closed it but didnt want anyone to get the wrong idea.

As this is the guy I ask to keep an eye on the house when we go on a trip, i wasnt too bothered about it and had the pepper spray discreetly tucked away as we talked for a few minutes and checked the garage together to ensure nothing was missing.

What i want to point out here is that while i would have been within my rights to head out there backed up by friends’ Smtih & Wesson, it would have probably gotten the police involved. It would also have probably gotten me in the bad graces of my neighbor if I drew down on him for doing a good deed. All anyone saw was me coming out to check on things, not the fact I had a very effective short range weapon with me. My neighbor would have also been a bit more inclined to forgive me if I had gassed him, as opposed to the potential alternative.

My point in this is to think before you act. Most of us have neighbors, I think it is safe to say. I always try to remember to not present myself as that “crazy prepper next door”.

It also didnt hurt that Mrs. J was just inside with backup and she is probably a better shot than I am 🙂

Echo5Charlie

This account brings a lot of questions to mind, so I’ll just kind of list them out.

Why would the police have gotten involved if you checked out your property at night with a pistol in your hand?
    Why would something worse happen if you identified the person before pulling the trigger.
    The guy is a trusted friend, wouldn’t he understand your coming out armed?
    Why doesn’t he have your phone number and call instead of poke around your house at 12:30?
    Is the pepper spray a stream or spray? If it’s a spray, you could both be affected. Is pepper spray effective against someone on meth who is armed?

J

to answer some of your questions, yes he has my number and had gone in to call when he saw me outside.

I don’t know all my neighbors as well as him and seeing someone walking around with a firearm at midnight might well get the cops called, even on your property. a hassle I don’t need In the middle of the night.

I use a foam type pepper spray, it deploys with a consistency similar to shaving cream.

the point I was attempting to make is there are ways to go about being defensive and protecting yourself and oroperty without automatically going for your guns. even if justified under the circumstances I doubt he would have felt comfortable staring down the business end of a revolver. I personally would have felt bad for doing it to him, especially as he was doing me a favor.

Echo5Charlie

The way I look at situations that people analyze later. Is that everything went well enough for you to analyze it later. Everyone is ok and that’s what matters.

Brandon

I totally understand your thinking there, J. But, personally, I’d have gone for the gun. I wouldn’t have gone in to the garage with it up and ready to fire. But I would have quietly headed out there, holding the gun discreetly, to see what was going on. But that’s just me. I’m glad Mrs. J was in the house with the gun, though, just in case you needed it.

I’m glad it turned out to be nothing more than a scare.

J

I think a gun in a neighborhood should be a last resort. a body doesn’t stop a bullet and chances are, it will end up in a house nearby. there will be consequences to deal with from that, whether you’re right in the immediate situation or not.

everyone is entitled to their opinion and responsible for their own actions, whether they are agreed with or not.

Echo5Charlie

I mean, I don’t want to argue with you.

The gun should be a last resort. When you went to the garage and turned that corner you might have stumbled across 3 guys on meth. Then you have a can of pepper spray on you and your protection in the house. In my mind, you put yourself in harms way with very little in terms of getting out of a tight spot. I’d say it’s better to either stay inside and call the police or go out with the proper equipment. Flashlight and pistol and I don’t think a neighbor would have seen it.

It doesn’t sound like your comfortable with guns and maybe not trained. If that’s the case it’s not the right equipment for you.

Just because you come across someone doesn’t mean you shoot them as soon as you see them.

J

more to the point, I am well trained with them and realize they aren’t the ideal tool for every situation. a neighborhood with houses close together is not a place on my mind to run out with a gun unless it is necessary . if you refer to my initial post you will see I was covered .

you can second guess me all you want but the situation was resolved with a minimum of fuss. walking around heeled is not always the best way to resolve a situation, this was the only point I was trying to make, evidently it is not getting through.

I’m done trying to make my point on this.

Echo5Charlie

Sorry I offended you.

Keep in mind, I don’t know you, your training, your neighborhood, your neighbors, your lighting, your homes construction, your weapon and caliber with what type of round.

I know the answer to all of those for me and I kind of inject my answers into your situation. I was trying to be helpful, but its obvious to me you don’t think I am. That’s fine man.

Again, sorry I offended you.

Brandon

J,

I completely understand your thinking, and I respect it. And I’m definitely not saying you’re wrong.

And I think it’s great that you’re considerate of your neighbors, especially since so many people are inconsiderate of others, nowadays.

I’m curious, though. If you lived out in the middle of nowhere, would you have gone for the gun, or would you still have gone for the pepper spray?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.