Return to General Discussion Forum

A Prepper Jackpot!

Home Forums General Discussion Forum A Prepper Jackpot!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    J

Well, that is what I feel like anyway 🙂

Have been doing a lot of work around the house of late, getting caught up on stuff that needs to be done, minor repairs, lots of yardwork and all around handyman type stuff. Was working around the deck, sweeping some leaves and gereral debris that got under there and noticed a pipe sticking up out of the ground. I did a bit more investigating and found out that it was the original well that was drilled when the house was built. I had been told it was covered up when I bought the house.

I will obviously have to have it tested and everything, but it looks like alternate water source is covered now, providing that the water supply isnt fouled.

Echo5Charlie

Nice!

J

might be too early to tell but hoping it is still potable.

Clarity Jane

Ooh, you lucky so-and-so!! I hope it turns out okay.

I live near to a city that has warm, underground springs. It was the Romans’ favourite place in Britain because of this and there used to be a fountain in the city centre where you could have a drink.

Wouldn’t it be wonderful to have both cold and warm natural water in your own back garden. Let’s hope your half way there.

PJ
    Keymaster

man that is sweet! Keep us posted on your test results for the well, I’m certaily jealous at this point

J

the good and bad thing is, it is located under my deck. While it is well concealed, we have lived hkere a number of years and I never found the thing, it would still be a bit of a pain to access. I could easily pull some boards to get to it, if necessary, and the privacy fence around the dec would conceal this if it were neccessary. Although, I would end up sharing with neighbors if we ever went a prolonged time without water, as most of my neighbors are either senior citizens or getting close to it.

Am thinking that it would be more practical to test it, make sure it is properly capped, and get a hand pump rig to use if it ever became necessary. There are any number of filtration systems to run it through after I get it drawn up, and I dont want to spend a ton of money on a pump and deal with all the red tape that would come with putting it in, as I live in town.

Thoughts, anyone?

Echo5Charlie

Hand pump and buckets could work well and be cost effective. There are 5 gallon bucket filter with tap kits you could run it through quickly after it came out. It could always be boiled too. The main thing is getting to it so you can then deal with it.

From the sounds of it, I would cut the deck boards and frame and access hole. Screw the boards to some 2x’s and viola, access.

Echo5Charlie

Hand pump and buckets could work well and be cost effective. There are 5 gallon bucket filter with tap kits you could run it through quickly after it came out. It could always be boiled too. The main thing is getting to it so you can then deal with it.

From the sounds of it, I would cut the deck boards and frame and access hole. Screw the boards to some 2x’s and viola, access.

J

I was thinking of something along the same lines. I think it would be a fairly practical and simple enough endeavor, without tearing up too much stuff.

Capt. Mac.

Hi J. Was surfing old posts here and found this one about your great find. CONGRATS!

Now please don’t pull your 9 and shoot the messenger but you may have another problem besides “is the water drinkable”?

If you remember your physics that damned NEWTON guy is always getting in our way. If the fluid level is greater than 33.9 feet down you will need a “down hole” pump to PUSH the water up. A simple hand pump, or ANY pump for that matter cannot “vacuum” water higher than that.

(you all stand by for a science lesson)

“A column of water 33.9 feet high, exerts a pressure of 14.7 pounds per square inch, or exactly 1 atmosphere of pressure. When a pump tries to suck water up a pipe from below, what is really happening is that the pump creates a vacuum at the top of the pipe, and atmospheric pressure forces the water up the pipe toward the pump inlet.

Since a column of water 33.9 feet high causes a pressure of exactly 1 atmosphere at the column’s bottom, atmospheric pressure cannot push it up any higher, even if the pump could draw a perfect vacuum above.”

Let’s all send J some good JuJu that the water will be sweet as a mountain spring and only a few feet down.

Capt. Mac.

Capt. Mac.

J ..
    I really do feel like a slob.

The other item you may have to overcome is the integrity of the old pipe. If it has a (read any) leek you may have to install a new one. You could deal with a very small leek but probably not with a hand pump.

Capt. Mac.
    The rain-er of parades.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.