Return to General Discussion Forum

1 gallon wate jugs

Home Forums General Discussion Forum 1 gallon wate jugs

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Wayne

I’m kinda new to this. Was wondering-I’ve been buying 1gallon jugs of water. Putting them away in a dark cool closet. How long will these last? Do I need to rotate and use the older ones? I thought they could sit there a long time. Just asking.

PJ
    Keymaster

Wayne

I too keep some 1 gallon water jugs on hand as they are cheap, easy move around and you don’t feel so bad about replacing them if you don’t use them. As far as storage you have it right on, make sure it’s a dark cool place in order to maximize the shelf life (this versus keeping them in a tin shed outside). Also never store the containers directly on concrete as you could face leaching issues, better on a shelf or carpet.

As for the shelf life that’s somewhat up for debate but I tend not to mess with 1 gallon jugs and stick with the manufacturer’s suggested expiration date. FWIW I only keep about 10 jugs on hand at any one time as I have larger containers with treatment solutions in them which can last 5 years.

Muleskinner

If you have a chance look at these NATO water storage cans. They are are BPA (Bisphenol A) free and in theory can store water up to 15 years. I have some coming just to see how they work out but if they are of the same quality as the fuel cans then I will be happy.
    http://lexingtoncontainercompanysonlinestore.mybigcommerce.com/military-water-can/

bigpaul

if your talking about the plastic ones you buy in the supermarkets, general conclusion here in the UK is about 6 months, then replace, there is some talk that the chemicals in the plastic will leech into the water over time, personally I’d use them again, rinse them out and replace with fresh water, but you make your own choice. they do have other uses, cut the bottoms off and use as a mini greenhouse over plants in the garden.

Echo5Charlie

That’s a really good point Paul. There’s a ton of uses for empty water jugs. Cut the tops for funnels even.

In an event I won’t be throwing much out.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.